- This is one of the most significant advances in the history of astronomy. This is the Hubble Space Telescope, the result of decades of development and billions of dollars that now floats is low earth orbit and takes photos of the cosmos.
- I doubt anyone has gone through life without seeing one of the astounding images taken by Hubble. It has so transformed our understanding of the universe which we inhabit that it is hard to imagine a time when we didn’t have this spyglass into the stars.
- Being that this is RIT, the imaging science major who I asked about this image was very familiar with Hubble and the breathtaking images it has captured over the years. This stranger also recalled that Hubble was almost one of the greatest blunders made by our space program as it was rendered useless due to a technical malfunction for much of its early life.
- Seth was a relatively average looking person; clearly he was very into his studies and was plugged into the world of scientific discovery. What I found interesting about Seth was that he declined to have his photo taken on the basis that he doesn’t like having a virtual footprint, and this included photos. He said that he’d learned through his studies about how photos can be disseminated by government agencies and used to build profiles should they need to secretely locate and monitor individuals.
- My reaction to this photo was pretty similar to Seth’s. We were both in awe of the scientific achievement that Hubble represented.